Monday, October 11, 2010

Some info about the Brooks's

Wheat and Jean Brooks
Apparently my whole family is from Commerce or surrounding areas.

My grandparents on my dad's side were married in September of 1947 and were married for 55 years at the time of my grandmothers death.

Her obituary read...

"IVA JEAN MOORE precious wife and loving mother went t be with the Lord on Tuesday, January 20, 2004. She was born on September 20, 1929 in Wilson, Texas. Preceded in death by her parents, Grady and Effie Moore and brother, Gerald Moore. She is survived by her husband of 55 years, Wheat Brooks of Rockwall, TX; children Judy Ann Snellings and husband David of Plano; Mark Brooks and wife Cathy of Rockwall; grandchildren, David Scott Snellings, Bradley Trey Brooks, Jordan Lance Brooks, Sarah Beth Costa and David Wade King; sister Billy Joyce Stribling of Burleson, brothers J.C. Moore and Lenton Ray Moore if Commerce. Service will be held 10:00 a.m., Friday January 23, 2004 at First Baptist Church of Heath, TX. Interment Restland Memorial Park. Family will receive friends from 7:00 until 9:00 p.m., Thursday, January 22, 2004. Jean will forever be remembered for her love of family, kindness to friends and great faith in the Lord."

Wheat and Jean Brooks Wedding
I have many memories of my grandmother, or Nanny, as the family called her. She was the best cook in the world, and I'm not just saying that. She could cook anything and it be the best thing you ever put in your mouth. I can still taste some buttermilk pie, chicken casserole, biscuit and gravy for breakfast.

Wheat and Jean Brooks
The one thing that I will never forget about my grandmother is that her and my grandpa, Wheat, always took me to church. I started going to church with them while I was in 5th grade... my mom would drop me off at their house on Saturdays and I would stay with them through Sunday night and go to church with them on Sunday. After church we would come home and she would fix me and my grandpa lunch and we would watch the Cowboys play and then take a nap.

My grandfather, Wheat, is nothing short of the best man ever. He knows everything about everything. He was born on October 21, 1928. Wheat is the only blood grandpa that I knew and I only saw my step grandpa every-now-and-then.  Growing up my brother and I always had a fourwheeler and we would ride them hard just like boys would do. When my parents divorced my dad moved out and luckily this set of grandparents lived right next door. I loved that they lived next door. So when something would go wrong with our fourwheelers my grandpa would fix it... usually it took no more than a few minutes for him to fix it. He taught me and my brother everything we know about fixing things like that. My grandpa would buy us gas for them anytime we needed it and it drove our parents crazy that he did that, but we were his grandkids and he didn't care. He would change the oil in them as well.

My grandfather is a one-of-a-kind... and I am so thankful that I know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment